Sample: Drizzle on the Mountain

                                                    



Chapter 1

 

He put down the phone and called out his wife, "Radha…! His uncle called. They liked our daughter so much. They want to fix the engagement as early as possible", his tone was bubbling with joy.

Radha walked to the living room looking with the same amount of joy and said, "Everything should go well. I will call her and tell the news immediately", as she said this she looked a little nervous too as she was worried what would be the response from her daughter Nanditha.

"Let her come home first. Then we will talk to her about this calmly", said her father.

When it comes to choosing a groom for their daughter, her father and mother were very cautious till now. They used to carefully sieve out grooms from tonnes of profiles in matrimonial sites and will invite very few families to come and see their daughter. They wanted to get their daughter married. The sooner it happens the better.

Her mother was eagerly waiting for her daughter's arrival. She wanted to know what her daughter feels about this.

As a mother, all she wanted was her daughter to be happy, throughout her life. Although she can't decide whether the groom will do or not with just a few meetings, she hoped, she and her family together will sort things out, at least to some extent, before giving the nod.

But Nanditha had other dreams. She was not sure whether to get married or not at this stage. She didn't understand the meaning of marriage at all, in the first place. If ever she gets married she would want a loving partner. A kind of fear dominated her – leaving her comfort zone called her family is one thing. The family she will be getting into after marriage – do they accept her as one of their family? In one way, she was afraid to trust anyone with her life. Some of the ladies she had come across have been affected with problems – marriage being the main problem. She believed marriage comes with a bunch of risks. While she would be craving for acceptance from the new family she will be stepping into, she will be demanded to prove herself again and again in almost everything she does, right from making a cup of coffee to how arranges things at home. While she desperately needs their acceptance, she was afraid her in-laws will only keep judging her in everything. In short, she hated to get married, especially when it’s an arranged by parents – just because it doesn't give room for her to know about the person. She wished to choose her partner herself and an arranged marriage will simply not allow such a thing. 

She hoped that if she knew the groom before marriage it will help her cope well with him and his family. But that's not the case happening right now. She had rejected a dozen grooms her parents chose so far. Some rejections had taken place even after visiting her. None of them posed good enough to her eyes.

 

Radha felt restless and wanted her daughter to know the news as soon as possible. She saw Nanditha walking through the gate and her mother was rehearsing in different ways to tell her daughter. Somehow, she wanted her daughter to say yes to this proposal. Radha was fed up looking into different profiles while her daughter doesn't seem to show interest in any of them.

Every day as soon as she reached home, Nanditha would come looking for her mother. Her mother was waiting for that moment to tell catch hold of her daughter to pour out everything. But Nanditha went straight to her room that day and lay down in her bed. She watched the ceiling as the fan started to spin. Soon, her mother entered her room with some chilled lemon drink. Radha tried every possible way to put her daughter in the right mood before cracking open the news.

Watching her mother coming in with the drink, she got up. She noticed her mother's eyes glowing with joy, understanding that she had some good news to share.

"How was the day, dear?", asked her mother handing over the drink to her.

She was so exhausted and the drink revived her instantly.

"Nothing much, mom. I had a few meetings back to back. I didn't have much time to take breaks in between."

"I have something to tell you, dear. Why don't you fresh up before we sit to discuss something important".

"What is it, mother?"

"I will be waiting for you in the sit-out. Come quick", said her mother and walked out of the room.

She took her mobile and checked her messages before stepping into the bathroom for a quick shower. The clock showed half-past six. She dried herself and got into her casuals.

Her mother was resting in the sit out sipping her evening coffee. The sit-out overlooked a small yet beautiful garden they had in front of their house. It's the ideal place for Nanditha to chat. Be it with friends, their relatives or just herself, she likes to relax sitting there and looking out at the garden.

Before asking her mother what the matter would be she had a slight guess that it would be regarding her marriage. Of late, her mother's only worry is her marriage. Her mother was struggling a lot to convince her daughter to get married. She doesn't want to waste time before it’s too late. Her mother believed that she should do her ‘job' of getting her daughter into a family safely when she had the stamina to do it.

Her mother had mixed feelings. Among the families they have invited home so far, Nanditha's parents didn't like few of them. They cared so much about the groom's behaviour and sensed that few of them wouldn't do with their daughter's interest. They felt bad to even formally say no to them without hurting their feelings. They also had to take care that her daughter shouldn't even accidentally fall for the guy who they felt he will not be good enough.

Nanditha sat in the chair next to her mother and waited for her mother to start.

"The guy's family is interested in you. They called your father yesterday and told about this. They wanted to fix the marriage as soon as possible", told her mother with immense joy.

While her mother seemed to have so much to tell her, Nanditha interrupted, "wait. Wait. Mother, please. Why do you want to hasten things so much? I have got so much to do. A lot much to enjoy! It’s been just a few years since I have joined this company. I've got to work and then earn a name for myself. There is a lot much to enjoy only at this stage in my life and I haven't even started anything yet. But it feels like you are pushing me into marriage."

"Anyway, one day or the other you have to get married. Why not, now?"

"Please give some time for me", said Nanditha.

Her mother got irritated. Every time whenever she spoke to her about marriage she said something silly to just shut her mouth. "you have been saying one or the other reason to avoid every groom we have chosen so far. We are fed up with you. At least, tell us if you have been seeing someone and let us look into that!", replied her mother a little furious this time.

Nanditha replied, "There is no one like that. Really. Trust me. If there is anyone that I want to get married to I would have told you already."

"Then what's your problem? Why do you keep rejecting everybody?", her mother almost shouted at her.

Nanditha seemed to keep quiet searching for a convincing answer while her mother continued.

"You are asking for time. But I have a lot of responsibilities even after getting you married. My duties will double after your marriage. You will give birth to a child and I will have to take care of both you and your child until you get back to your normal routine. There are a lot of things to think about even after marriage. If you are taking much time to just decide on this, it's going to get difficult," said her mother irritated. "Now tell me what's bothering you in marriage?"

Nanditha shook her head as if she couldn't explain it to her mother. It was as if her mother couldn't understand Nanditha's way of thinking.

"Everything…" Nanditha muttered in a way her mother couldn't hear clearly.

"What was that?", exclaimed her mother raising her brow, "tell me whatever it is that's bothering you." She felt shouting at her daughter wouldn't help fix the issue. She tried to calm herself and listen to her daughter.

Her mother looked more concerned and the worry reflected in her eyes that her daughter is not approving anybody.

"How can I marry someone who I don't even know of? How do I know if he is rude or soft or understanding or loving? I can't live in an alien house I haven't seen before with some alien guy that I just met, for a few weeks. I couldn't even think of that. I want my freedom. I don't have to get his permission for everything I do that I love to…There are a lot more concerns like this and… the list never ends. I have some dreams of my own. I just can't think myself get bound by him and his family's rules and spoil my entire life."

"See, Nanditha. Why are you so negative about everything?" her mother said calmly, "things can turn out better, even! Who knows? You can steer your husband in the way you wanted him to be. Not every marriage is one hundred per cent perfect. There might be a few drawbacks which you have to overcome. That's what life is! Anyway, at one point in time, you have to get married! I think let's not waste time. Or, are you thinking of not getting married at all?", her mother said not sure of her mindset.

"Oh! That seems a good option!" said Nanditha smiling.

"But we will never leave you like that. Don't even dream about it dear", said her mother in an authoritative tone.

"I have to tell something to your dad. What shall I say? Your dad is getting annoyed with your behaviour. After a lot of searching, we have come up with this guy. Good family. He is having a decent job with a good salary. They own a house. Can you tell me at least one thing to reject his proposal…? Why don't you give it a try? I like this groom so much and he seems good. What do you say?", asked her mother in a way that she couldn't avoid.

"Where does this ‘try' ends, mom? I don't know what to say. I need some time, mom. I can't decide anything so quickly. Even if I say ‘yes' now and later after a few arrangements are over and if I reject him, does it look good? Or would you support it? I don't want to put dad in such a situation."

"So what should I tell your dad, now? Why are you saying that you might reject him at a later point of time?"

Her phone rang and Nanditha picked it up, "hello?"

"How are you, Nanditha? What are you doing, now?" came the voice from the other end.

As she was speaking she gestured her mom a moment of excuse and slipped into her room with her phone. While her mom looked annoyed with their conversation getting interrupted, Nanditha felt happy that she doesn't have to continue about this subject anymore.

 

*

 

"It's my sister. She couldn't get leave from her office. Now I hate going on a long train journey all alone," said Jenny from the other end.

"Hmmm… I have a lot many leaves but I couldn't step out of home", said Nanditha.

"oh? Can you come with me, then?", Jenny was excited.

"Me…?", she continued with a pause, "I would love to. But..", said Nanditha.

"But, what?"

"what will I tell my family? They won't accept it if I just say that I wanted to accompany you. They will ask a lot of questions and… "

"hey! Tell something and come. I will show you my hometown. If you say no you will just miss an amazing vacation you can ever have in your lifetime"

"I will think about it, Jenny. Give me some time", said Nanditha.

"hmmm.. You keep thinking… at least will you tell me before I start? I'm starting this weekend. Whatever you decide just tell me before that. Or else, I will have to cancel the ticket and leave alone".

"I have to go now. Anyway, thanks for calling me. I will tell you by tonight. Bye for now" said Nanditha and put the phone down.

The prospect of going for a vacation along with her long-time friend lured her. She couldn't say no. But, the time she bought from her friend is just to find an excuse to convince her parents. Her parents were keenly looking for a match for her. They would probably wish to keep her daughter securely in the confinement of their house at the moment. With Nanditha's response so far, it doesn't look nice to ask for their permission, until it is extremely necessary or official. But, what if she makes it look an official trip – just for the sake of her parents, she thought. Although it felt bad at a corner of her heart, she decided this trip would just be the thing to give herself a little break from her busy life.

 

 

Chapter 2

 

It's been a long time since Nanditha had gone on a train journey with her family. With a huge backpack and a handbag swirling in her shoulder she found it difficult to walk. She removed her glasses and checked on the display board. She waited till the display board showed in which platform her train is. Quickly, she sent a message to her friend on her status. The station looked crowded with busy people walking in all directions. Big parcels were getting loaded into trains. Some were seen lying down on the floor waiting for their trains to arrive. She secretly prayed that none of her relatives or family members should see her standing here. Or they will just screw her with questions of all sorts.

She had a rough estimate that her dad would be in the office at this time of the day. Her mom would be at home. Her brother will either be in college or anyone of his friend's house. Even if any of her relatives meet her right now, she was determined that she would manage, somehow, with some convincing answer and will never attract her family's attention. Anyway, after a few days, she is going to get back to reality – in the same old house, going to office and getting back – such a boring routine. She let herself enjoy the present and convinced herself that she will manage things later at home if any unforeseen events happen. At one point she will have to tell them where she went and for what reason. But she is totally in good terms with her own heart, that she is not doing anything wrong, other than just telling her parents that it's an official trip.

She saw Jenny walking towards her from a distance carrying her bags. As she approached towards Nanditha, she said, "waiting for so long?"

"Not that long. Just a few minutes. The train is in platform 7. Shall we?" said Nanditha.

"Alright! I just want to buy some snacks and a bottle of water."

"Sure", said Nanditha and started walking to the platform.

People seemed running here and there to catch seats in unreserved coaches and they both walked carefully not to get stumble down in the heavy rush.

It's been a long walk before they reached their coach. Nandhita checked her watch – it's half-past three. They kept their bags in its places and Jenny got down from the train to buy things from the nearby kiosk.

 

*

 

Passengers started coming in and as time passed on almost all the seats were filled. The girls kept their luggage in its places right after boarding into the train. Once they are settled in their seats they started observing every passer-by crossing them.

The train started on time and the girls looked at each other smiling.

"How did you manage at home? What did you tell your parents about your trip?" questioned Jenny.

"I said I have a client visiting Darjeeling who is about to establish their start hotel and I have to convince them with our company's designs for their interiors", said Nanditha, with a smile winking her eye.

"And they believed everything you told them?"

"They appeared so. Even if they didn't believe I don't have any problem as long as they allow me to come with you", said Nandhita.

Jenny kept looking at Nanditha disapprovingly.

"Hey! I'm not doing anything wrong here. As long as my lie is not going to affect anybody there is nothing wrong in saying it, I believe", she continued after a pause, "come on! I will anyway tell them later… after I get to enjoy my time alone – I mean with you."

"Hmm… so, if anything goes wrong I will be the one to blame?"

Nanditha nodded with a smile and said, "So how many days are we going to stay there?"

"For now I have taken ten days as leave and booked our return ticket accordingly. If you wanted to leave anytime sooner I will make necessary arrangements. I mean, only if you want to cut short the trip. Else we get back together. How about you? Is there any problem with your leaves?"

"Nah... It's just lean period in my office and I don't have that much work. Even if there is any urgent work that comes in, I have my laptop with me to take care of it. I can even take more days off if I want to", said Nanditha happily relieved that she got enough holidays.

The train started to pick up speed. Thickly arranged apartments and the building now seemed to space out as they are crossing the outskirts of the city. The sun still shone brightly when it is around 4 in the evening. The air-conditioned coach concealed the weather outside better and made it easier for them see the views outside in the harsh sun. Salesmen with beverages and snacks started coming in. the girls didn't seem interested in any of the snacks that passed by, so far, but just bought two chilled water bottles.

By seeing a guy having some samosa, Jenny said, "My mom insisted that she will pack our dinner. But I denied. I thought we will have something here itself."

"That's not a problem. Even we used to pack our food while on train journeys. This time, I too, told my mother it's not necessary. My mom doesn't even like me going out on this trip despite I said its official".

"Why not? She would have found out you are lying!"

"I don't think so. A few days back we had a conversation. I think it may be because of that she doesn't like me going out of the home."

"What happened?"

"Nothing… just… they wanted me to say yes to the latest groom whose family visited recently. I didn't say anything and she is so much worried about it". She continued, "Not just that. My parents and I are in cold war for the last few months for not nodding to any guy they have seen for me, till now".

While Jenny was listening to her keenly, Nanditha continued, "I'm not going to say yes, anytime soon".

"Be careful, Nanditha. While they are willing to get you married, you should take your pick, at some point. If you are going to keep rejecting, then, they will soon stop looking anyone for you."

Nanditha shook her head smiling, "not impressed with anyone, yet".

"do you think Mr Perfect is there somewhere hiding from your sight and will come searching for you to have a happily-ever-after life with you?", Jenny's tone had a bit of seriousness now with her eyes piercing into Nanditha's, looking for an immediate convincing enough reply.

"I don't know. But I'm not interested right now", said Nanditha looking out of the window.

"When do you think you will get interested, then?"

"Hey! You are starting to sound like my mom! I just came out on this trip to forget about all that and relax myself a bit. But, now you are starting to put me back into thinking and worrying about it", said Nanditha.

"Okay, am sorry! But I want to know what's going on in your head. Why do you hate to get married?"

"I don't hate to get married. Just that it poses bleak. I didn't feel secure enough with anyone I haven't seen so far and I'm not sure if I would ever meet a guy with whom I might convince myself that my life would be happy. Yes, I have a lot of expectations. I want to have only one single partner all my life who understands me, respects me, loves me, gives me the freedom I seek and never cheats – and I think that's too much to ask for in a guy, in this century"

Jenny gave out a big laugh which looked sarcastic to Nanditha but she didn't bother to reply.

"Of course, it's way too much expectation, I agree. But if you don't keep searching you might never find it even if it is available somewhere, in some corner of the world."

As they were talking a guy with a huge backpack came stopped at the seat overlooking their seats. He removed his bag and checked the seat number looking at his mobile phone. Soon, he took his blankets and a pillow that was piled on the shelf and arranged neatly on the berth. He removed his shoes and quickly crawled on the berth. He took out his earphones and soon slouched spreading his legs.

Jenny gestured Nanditha to look at him to see if this guy would tick all the boxes in her list.

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

It was almost 8 at night when the train halted in a station. The girls watched the food parcels being brought in by caterers. The girls kept noticing the guy from time to time and all of his actions. He looked handsome and would have been in his late twenties or early thirties, they guessed. Although they kept watching him they were so watchful that he is not aware of it.

He seemed to be so engaged in his mobile right from the time he boarded the train. He doesn't seem to notice anything other than his mobile.

"If he keeps so lost in his mobile even after marriage, you will have a great time at home", said Jenny sarcastically.

"Seems you have got a lot much experience already!" said Nanditha.

"Well! I do have a little experience. I have seen my relatives having problems after being addicted to mobile phone."

Nanditha got up and walked to the restroom. She saw a young couple boarding the train and they were being waved off by a group of people. The shouting and cheering of the crowd gathered the attention of a good amount of people in the station. The bride and groom were all smiles. The blush in the girl's cheeks was enough for anybody to guess that they were going on their honeymoon trip.

She waited for the crowd to give way and used the bathroom. She stood near the door for some time and enjoyed the breeze. The train was going slower than its usual speed that she could get a glimpse of the lights from far-away buildings as well. the moon was full that night, making everything shimmer in silver. She felt very peaceful that night and happy but along with that a sense of loneliness engulfed her. She could make use of the company of someone very close to her heart. She does not want the love from her mother or father or anybody from her family. She had experienced loads of love from them throughout her life till now. This longing can surely be fulfilled only by a life partner but she didn't give much importance to that feeling to take dominance. At present, she decided to enjoy the moment and her time with her best friend Jenny.

When she returned to her seat, to her surprise, the couple she saw before were sitting in the seats next to hers. Till then, the girls were enjoying talking freely with no one next to them to keep listening except the guy at the other end. He probably was never interested in anything that the girls spoke about. While Nanditha and Jenny sat opposite to each other occupying the window seats the couple was sitting in Nanditha's side. As Nanditha walked close to them, she excused herself to occupy her window seat. As she did, the couple gave way and the guy switched places with his bride.

Jenny looked at Nanditha to cue that the remaining time is going to be interesting with the young couple by their side. Yet, the girls couldn't talk anything out loud for the others could listen. Jenny wanted to talk to them but she felt like disturbing the couple as they were so lost in one another.

When a vendor crossed their seats, Jenny shouted for him to stop. They bought roti, korma and some rice for dinner. Jenny passed on a parcel to Nanditha. As they opened their parcels, half of the korma had spattered and made the roti soggy. They couldn't help it but think almost all the time, the food supplied in trains were not good. With less than minimum amount of salt, in both the rice and korma, they didn't feel hungry at all for the food. Anyway, they couldn't get any better food other than this while in the train. The feeling that they couldn't sleep with an empty stomach, they made up their minds to finish off the food just enough to fill up their tummies and threw away the remaining.

By the time the girls returned to their seats after washing their hands, the couple is seen opening the food parcels they brought from home. As they opened the packets it’s evident that it has been carefully packed with love by someone of their family. The smell of hot parathas and mushroom curry swept across the whole coach made the girls' mouth water.

The new bride took out disposable paper plates, served a portion of roti and curry and gave it to her husband. Then she helped herself with some. As they were having their dinner, the girl glanced at Jenny and said, "I saw you throwing your food away. If you don't mind would you like to have some roti and curry?"

Even though both of them loved to have some food they just smiled and shook their heads initially as a formality.

When the girl insisted, "Hey, come on, have some. We have plenty to share."

"Well…! If you insist", said Nanditha smiling and accepted her offer.

Soon, the girls enjoyed a sumptuous dinner, probably a very delicious one they are having in the train that is not prepared in their homes. After the meal, the girls felt very thankful to the new bride.

"Dinner was so good. We couldn't thank you enough for that", said Nanditha.

"Yeah! It was so good. Thanks a lot!", said Jenny with a grin.

"You are welcome. We are glad you liked it. Where are you two going?" said the girl.

"We are going to Darjeeling for the holidays. This is my friend Nanditha and I'm Jenny", she said with a smile.

"I'm Madhu", she offered a hand to Jenni and Nanditha, "and my husband. We wanted to go to Darjeeling too for our honeymoon. Unfortunately, he couldn't get enough leaves", she looked at her husband and turned to face the girls. "But I'm sure I will make him take leaves and we will go within this year, hopefully", she said with joy.

Her husband nodded with a smile. His phone rang and he excused going out near the door to answer it.

*


 

Comments