How to get better at anything?


If you wish to get better at something, the simple way would be to engage in that activity as much as you can. When you give a lot of time doing that particular activity and actively involve yourself, it will eventually turn into a habit and you will get better at it.

I have some tips in which I work and hope it will also share some common ideas which you can implement in your field of work too. 

Setting a goal

Whatever you want to achieve, just ask yourself how important it is for you. and, why do you wish to achieve it, in the first place. how determined are you in reaching that goal come what may? sometimes, after deciding on something, our mind can drift away just because we are not so sure of what we want. when you ask these questions before even starting, it will help you retain that initial fire and lead you until you achieve it. Most importantly, while setting a goal, be clear of what you want, what are all the things that you will do to reach the goal, why you want and how are you planning on reaching the goal. 

Devise a plan

Most times, we quickly decide where to reach but we rarely plan exactly how we are going to reach that goal. If you want to achieve something, think clearly as to how much time you are planning to spend on it every day and the activities that you do during that time which, when done every day, will gradually get you to reach that target. Be sure to devise a plan that is challenging as well as achievable. Setting difficult tasks and running behind them will only add to your stress. 

Commitment

Once your plan is set, stick to it and be committed to it. Just having a plan and forgetting about it will get you nowhere. Sometimes, in between the daily grind, it might feel impossible to spend time for your target. Yet, try! Try to be regular if not committing to it daily. Have some time in between your breaks or during weekends. It's always good to commit yourself and have a plan accordingly so that you don't have much gap between planning and execution. 

Learning from practice and mistakes

I always wanted to write better, clearer and more engaging stories. If I wish to become a wonderful writer what better way is there than to write more and learn from mistakes? There is an endless number of courses teaching how to become a great storyteller or how to engage your readers with your prose, etc. But the best way I prefer, on top of others, is to just write stories. As I keep writing, I open the doors to more and more learning, which also involves a lot of mistakes, yet it is fine. As I move on, I will also learn from them and implement those learnings next time I write. The key is to keep a good watch on the tips and tricks of the skill you want to get better at.

Give it a shot

I was thinking editing was some rocket science until I involved myself in it for my current novel. To my surprise, as I started reading my own manuscript, I discovered how involved I could get in editing my novel while reading from a reader's perspective. What started as a boring ordeal, overwhelming me at times, soon turned out to be something interesting and I could slash down those frills that don't add any value to the main story. I just have to involve myself in a task which I wanted to finetune. I wouldn't say I have become a pro in self-editing but I got some clarity that editing is not that boring a task after all. Sometimes the very thing you thought was not your cup of tea might excite you more than you knew.


Learn what you lack

Be it book covers or cards, I would like to design them myself from scratch. It gives me a sense of satisfaction as I put my ideas in bringing out the best possible output I could get. Working in my last company has helped me gain considerable knowledge in doing so. If you feel you need extra learning, taking up a crash course doesn't hurt. But practising goes a long way in polishing yourself up.

Passion

Putting out my thoughts, interests and inspiring stuff in the form of blogs has always excited me. Whatever you do, there is an underlying amount of passion that forms an integral part of motivating you towards reaching your goal. In my opinion, without having that fire in you, things will not get better however you try. Always choose and check if you have that undiminishing interest in the work that you do to keep you going before even you start.

Engage with friends

Being an author is also about having like-minded people around you who will motivate you whenever you feel low. Like any other profession, it's good to have people who know you from the inside out, those who positively impact you and keep you on the right track. Some of my friends have given me some valuable advice which I wouldn't have the privilege to get otherwise. They can understand why I do something and what my motive is. I always highly recommend building up a relationship personally than through social media. It helps a lot to get to know the person individually. Engage with your friends, and discuss your plans and they will be able to direct you in the right direction.

As you continuously do some activity, it becomes a habit whether or not you realise it. And soon, you will excel in it. You will observe that you get a grasp of those mistakes you did in the past and try to overcome them in the future - it all happens involuntarily. 



Comments