The hearty feeling of finishing the first draft


There is no bigger happiness for an author to see his/her books in the shelves of a bookstore. but there is one big relief after finishing the first draft of the book. When the book idea is still showing its very first sparks in the mind, it takes a good deal of time to convince the writer himself/herself whether the idea is worth developing into a book or not. From there, it takes a lot of effort to bring those few sparks into a full-fledged story. There are a lot of ups and downs in between concerned with the mood of the author before they sit down to write. Writers get stuck not knowing how to blow up the next scene or how to breathe colour into a character or how to make those twists and turns in the story that readers will love. Coming through a variety of challenges - time constraint, mood swings, inconsistency in writing, getting lost altogether somewhere in the middle of the story, and so many other difficulties - after putting in a lot of mental effort, when the first draft finally takes shape it's such a relief. once the first draft is ready, there are other strenuous works that follow until the book takes its place in reader's hand. Whether it comes out of a traditional publisher or a self-publisher, it goes through a number of drafts depending upon the complexity of the story before getting published. 

It took me one month to write my first story. three months to write my second. but more than a year to finish off my third one. But with every story that I wrote so far, I learned a thing or two which is very helpful to move forward as far as my writing is concerned. My current novel, after taking so much time I'm extremely happy that it got over. Although there are a lot of things yet to be done before publishing, I feel finishing this first draft is all that matters to give that kick to move forward.

I felt the writing was the difficult part before actually I started writing fiction. but later I understood that it's not the writing part but the works that follow the actual writing is. Writing is indeed fun. if its not why does anyone write, anyway? writing fiction gave me a bunch of feelings along the way - i found it tough at times, enjoyed the way it took me beyond my own anticipation, lingered in that fictional world, and thought of all possibilities a situation can bring even in real life. 

Before I immerse myself in the after works of writing the first draft let me give myself some breathing time filled with a little bit of celebration. Yes, finally, I finished writing my first draft! yay...!!!

Comments